As I embark on month 5 of my big chop, I decided to focus on styling this month. Short does not always lend itself to tons of “go-to” styles. My hair is too long to slick down and too short for any type of ponytail. As such, I have had to develop creative ways to sassy my short hair.
1.) TWA (tiny-wittle-afro). On weekends, I wash and condition with my complimentary Deva Curl’s Melt into Moisture. I follow-up with the love of people’s Whip It, Bounce Back, castor oil, and a styling gel. My hair stays hydrated and defined, and I am good for the week. Let the curls fall where they may.*
2.) Floral headbands. I admit. I am a tad obsessed with this trend perhaps because I hate all things “patterny” when it comes to clothing. Cue the over the top accessories. Just when I need to cutsie up my do. I wear them on two occasions. (1) They look great with whatever outfit I have going on that day. (2) Wash day is upon me, and I need to redirect attention from the frizz and almost dead wash-and-go.
3.) Side twists. I never had the courage to shave the sides of my hair. Thus, back in my relaxer days, I grew hugely fond of a few twists. That fondness continues as they still add a little something extra when boredom strikes.
4.) Non-twist fro-hawk. This is probably my fave besides the floral headband. I love a faux hawk. Something about the edginess calls my name.
5.) Play around. You can pull the front back. You can put a big twist along the edges. Whatever you do, make sure it reflects who you are as a person.
Do not forget that no matter what style you choose to sassy your short, be sure to keep those curls healthy. The love of people has an amazing line of products I use when I am not bored for my “90% of the time” look. (I use them for the other 10% also.)
I have not yet tried bantu knots nor twist outs. I tend to stick with what I know, and, so far, this is what I know.
To find out more about what I do for hair care, check out my previous blog post on my hair care routine.
If you like what you see, please share with others.
Until next time, keep rocking the SUPER in your NATURAL.
How about you? What are some of your go-to styles?
Leave your email so that I can send hair care strategies straight to your inbox.
* THIS ARTICLE CONTAINS REFERRAL LINKS. CLICK HERE FOR MY FULL DISCLOSURE.